My friend, M.Jek, asked me 2 questions about the term “Beautiful People”, here are her questions:
1. What do you think when you hear “Beautiful People”? In deep reflection, what is the meaning of “Beautiful People”?
2. Do you think you are beautiful?
So I answered her with answers in which I think are satisfying enough. But today, I am not going to talk about my answers to her questions( I might post about “Beautiful People” and my answers in a different post in the future). This made me think about self image. Yes, self image!
Many people including me have something in our mind about our own self image. There are always two things that we consider about our image:
1. How people perceived us.
2. How we perceived ourselves.
I know many people are dealing with this issue. We look at the mirror and not happy of what we see. And we like to stigmatize ourselves for not being “pretty” enough or not “beautiful” enough. There are two attentions regarding self-image:
1. Our face appearance.
2. Our body shape.
Probably many of you are not happy because one or two body parts in your face or in your body. I have to tell you, that you are not alone! So many people suffer from this because the one or two body parts that they do not like. In our life time there are probably many of us who have to deal with friends or family members who do not like how we appear. They tease us, ridicule us, mock us, for the body parts that God given us. I have to say I was one of those people who have to struggle to accept myself and love myself because all those negative things people throw at me. Worse of all, those people who mock me are my family members.
These were the body parts that they said were not “Good Enough”:
1. My eyes. They called my eyes too slanty or too small.
2. My nose. They said that my nose is not pointy enough or does not have a high bridge.
3. My eyebrows. They said my eyebrows were too thin.
4. My teeth. They said that my teeth is protruded.
5. My jaw. They said that my jaw is also protruded.
6. My skin color. They said that my skin color is too dark.
7. My weight. They said that I’m too fat.
And the list goes on and on. And I have to live with that mockery when I was still living with my family. It is hard to really alter the concept of ourselves if we grew in that kind of stigmata. But I change my perspectives and start to accept myself beautifully and lovingly. How do I do that?
1. Do a makeover. A change in ourselves can be nice, but you cannot do it extremely, just one at a time.
2. Be friends with people who accept you and love you as who you are. Be with positive people! You can choose your friends, be with good friends who supports you.
3. Forgive those people because they do not know what they are doing or saying. 😉
People usually make fun of us because they are not happy of themselves. They are in pain. So people, please do not make fun of others regarding physique!
For the people who like to disregard others because of physique, I want you to reflect in the things that you are not happy of. Try to answer this question:
1. What makes you angry and feel in pain?
2. What do people done to you to make you mock others?
Find the answers, and then, try to make a change and love yourselves even more! (Hey, I might post something in the future about “Pain”)
There’s a video about Objective Beauty and Perceived Beauty:
The summary of the video is this:
There are two types of beauty: Objective Beauty and Perceived Beauty.
1. Objective Beauty is what you see in the catwalk and in the magazines.
2. Perceived Beauty is a full package. It is about from the head to the toe, from the smile, from the way you act, from the way you talk, from the way you think. Perceived beauty is appearance + personality!
So do not let others think you are not beautiful! You are beautiful! God never created a failure, that is why you are beautiful! 😉
So what do you think? Share your stories! Comment and response are highly encouraged!
One last thing, I would like to thank my friends, Al.Ali and H.K. , as much as you do not know, the two of you really help me to change my perspectives and love myself more. Thank you. :*