I know it has been two days since the New Holy Father was elected, but I still want to be happy about it.
Here are some facts about our new pope! (Taken from Buckeye Catholic)
- From Argentine, Latin America (father was Italian).
- Speaks Spanish.
- A Jesuit. First Jesuit Pope!
- First Non European Pope after 600 years.
- Walks the walk as far as simplicity is concerned: “chose to live in a simple apartment rather than archbishop’s palace, gave up his chauffeur,” etc.
- Supported “the social justice ethos of Latin American Catholicism, including robust defense of the poor.”; “kissed and washed the feet of AIDS victims”.
- Has good record with Jewish leaders.
- “No defender of clerical privilege and not insensitive to pastoral realities”.
- Brings together developing world and developed world cultural sensibilities.
- Has respect from both conservatives and moderates.